Discord’s servers and channels are great for conversations with multiple people. However, sometimes when you want to have a private chat with a friend, you’ll need to contact them outside of a server.
You can do this through Discord’s DM (Direct Message) feature. Additionally, you can even send DMs to someone you are not friends with.
Whether you want to DM a friend or an acquaintance, this article will guide you through the necessary steps to do that.
How To Direct Message On Discord
There are two ways you can message someone on Discord.
DM A Friend
If the person you want to contact is already on your friend’s list, here’s what you will need to do:
- Open Discord and go to Home (icon above servers).
- While in Home, you will notice a list of friends and previous conversations. Use the search function to find your friend.
- Send them a DM.
But, if the user is not part of your friend’s list, you can follow our guide on how you can add them.
DM Someone You Are Not Friends With
On the other hand, if you want to DM someone who is not your friend on Discord and you don’t plan on adding them either, follow these steps:
- Open Discord and enter a server in which the person you want to talk to is a member.
- Then, on the right side of your screen, expand the Member List and look for the right user.
- Click on their name, type your message, and press Enter.
- This will send a message and redirect you to the friend list.
Best of all, you don’t even have to add this person as a friend; the conversation will always remain open (unless you delete it).