Discord’s servers and channels are great for interacting with numerous people. However, sometimes you’ll want to have a private chat with a friend or another user and you need to contact them outside of a server.
You can do this via Discord’s DM (Direct Message) feature. You can even send DMs to someone you are not friends with as long as their settings allow it.
Whether you want to DM a friend or another acquaintance, this article will guide you through the steps needed to do so.
Table of ContentsShow
How To Direct Message On Discord
There are two ways to message someone on Discord.
DM A Friend
If the person you want to contact is already on your Friends List, here’s all you need to do:
- Open Discord and go to Home (icon above server list).
- In Home, you will see a list of friends and previous conversations. Use the search function to find your friend.
- Send them a DM.
If the user is not part of your Friends List, you can find out how to add them to it in our guide.
DM Someone You Are Not Friends With
If you want to DM someone who is not your friend on Discord and you don’t want to add them, follow these steps:
- Open Discord and enter a server where the person you want to message is a member.
- On the right of your screen, expand the Member List and find the user.
- Click their name, type your message, and press Enter.
- This will send them a message and redirect you to your Friends List.
You don’t even need to add this user as a friend. The conversation will remain open indefinitely (unless you delete it).