Discord quickly became people’s favorite when it came to online communication. It’s free, has no ads, and is just so simple to use.
But, we know that Discord is not perfect, so some users may have trouble with specific actions.
Video chatting is one of those things people have trouble with, so we wrote this guide on how to video chat on the Discord app or website.
Let’s start with the guide!
Table of ContentsShow
Direct Message Video Chat
There are two ways you can video call someone on the Discord platform. You can do a direct message video call or a server video chat.
Before reading the detailed instructions, ensure you added the individual as a Discord friend.
- Open Discord.
- Click on the Discord icon on the top left of the window.
- Click on the Friends tab and look for your friend.
- Select your friend, look to the top right, and you should see a video camera icon.
- Click on it, and you will start video calling your friend.
It’s that simple!
All that is left is for the other side to accept the call.
Note: If you are unable to view the camera symbol for video chat, it is possible that Discord is unable to detect the camera.
Alternatively, call your friend, have them accept the call, and press the photograph button while in the call.
But hold on!
This isn’t the only way you can video chat with someone. You can do this through a Discord server, too, so make sure you keep reading to find out how.
Discord Server Video Chat
Unlike the previous method, you don’t need to have the person added as a friend on Discord. You just need to join the same server.
So, here’s what you should do:
- With Discord open, choose a server in which both of you are members. If they aren’t, send them an invite.
- Now look for any voice channel and join it.
- Once you are in the channel, look for the Video icon on the bottom left of the window and click it. This will immediately turn your camera on.
- Your friend will need to do the exact same thing to activate their camera.
That’s it! Now you should see your friend on camera, and they should see you.
If you can’t click on the Video icon, you may have to troubleshoot your camera.
Troubleshooting The Camera For Discord
To ensure that Discord detects your video camera, you’ll need to head to User Settings. You can do that by clicking the small cogwheel icon on the bottom left of your window.
You’ll need to find the Voice & Video tab under “App Settings.” Click it, scroll down a bit, and under “Video Settings,” look for Camera. In this dropdown menu, you can select your camera.
That should fix your issues.
You can also attempt to disconnect and reconnect the camera or restart Discord.
If you continue having camera-related issues, we suggest checking for driver updates on the official site of the webcam/camera.