If you’ve already gathered all of your friends in one voice channel and want to joke around a bit, setting up a soundboard is a good idea.
You’ll surely get tons of laughs once you start spamming random sounds from popular memes, videos, and TikToks.
So, how can you set up a soundboard to work on Discord?
Well, this is the guide that will explain that!
Table of ContentsShow
What You Will Need
Before we start setting up Discord for a soundboard, there are a few things you will need.
Choose A Soundboard
First, you’ll need to download a soundboard.
- Resanance – Quite a popular soundboard pick for a lot of Discord users. It’s recommended throughout Discord servers and Discord-related subreddits, and it’s free.
- Soundpad – Easy to set up and use. Soundpad is another popular choice in the Discord community. It’s not free.
- Clownfish Voice Changer– A voice changer that’s been around for years now, extremely popular before the Discord era. It’s a bit outdated, but it’s still a good choice, and it’s free.
- Mixere – Free but considerably more challenging to use. Use Mixere only if you already have experience with soundboard applications.
- EXP Soundboard – A bit of an outdated UI, but it’s free, and it works with Discord.
Choose a Virtual Audio Driver
Next, you will need a virtual audio driver to route the microphone and soundboard through it.
- VB-Cable – The most popular choice for setting up a virtual audio driver. Easy to set up and completely free.
- Voicemeeter – an alternative to VB-Cable (by the same developers).
- Jack Audio – Open source and easy to use.
Setting Up The Virtual Audio Driver
For this guide, we chose VB-Cable, so we recommend that you go with the same.
Here’s what you will need to do to set up your virtual audio driver:
- Download the VB-Cable zip and extract it.
- Inside the extracted folder, look for VBCABLE_Setup_x64.exe.
- Right-click it and make sure you run it as administrator!
- Click on Install Driver and click Install on the Windows Security prompt. Don’t worry, it’s safe.
- With that done, go ahead and restart your computer.
- After restarting, you should be able to see CABLE Output available as an audio device.
Now, let’s set up Windows.
Setting Up Windows
We needed a virtual audio driver to tie the microphone and soundboard into one single input. So, let’s set up Windows.
- Search for Sound settings in Start Menu and open it.
- Now look at the top-right of your window to find Sound Control Panel and click it.
- Go to the Recording tab, find your microphone device, right-click it and go to Properties.
- Then, open the Listen tab, check the Listen to this device option, select CABLE output under Playback through this device and then hit Apply.
Setting Up Discord
Now we need to assign the new virtual device to Discord.
- Open Discord and head right over into User Settings (bottom left).
- Click on the Voice & Video tab.
- Under Input Device, select CABLE Output.
With that done, every sound you play on your computer will also be played through Discord. So, remember, this includes all audio, not just the soundboard.
Installing The Soundboard
Now it’s time to install the soundboard. For this article, we used Resanance. So, if you have it downloaded, just extract the .zip file and run Resanance.msi.
The installation should be pretty straightforward, so run the application once it is done.
Before you start playing around with Resanance, ensure that the correct device is enabled. So, look for the CABLE Input device and enable it!
Using A Soundboard
Your Discord, Windows, and virtual audio driver are all set up, and now all that is left is to add some soundboard audio.
In Resanance, just hit Add and select any mp3 audio you may have. You can use one of the many free archives to download soundboard audio. Once the file is added, you can assign a hotkey to play it.
You can also turn off the local volume to mute the soundboard for yourself.
And with all of this done, it is time to test whether all of this effort was worth it! So, head on back to Discord, join any voice channel and invite some of your friends to join you. Then, start hitting any of the audio hotkeys you previously set up and wait for their reaction!
That’s about it!
Keep in mind that going through the VB-Cable device might cause some audio cutting issues. But, usually, it shouldn’t be a problem, and all that is left to do is to increase your library of audio effects, music, and other random meme sounds.