Although Twitch is primarily a live streaming platform, the VOD (Video on Demand) feature is still a significant and important part of its popularity.
Sometimes our favorite streamers host a broadcast at a time when we’re unable to watch, either because we’re busy or due to time zone differences. Fortunately, there’s a way we can still enjoy their work: downloading Twitch videos.
Twitch stores completed broadcasts as videos if a streamer has previously enabled the option on their channel. However, if you are a big fan of a particular video, downloading it is the best way to ensure you never lose access to it in the future.
This guide will teach you how to download Twitch VODs.
Table of ContentsShow
Method 1: Downloading Twitch Videos From Your Channel
Before we look at the method for downloading videos from your own channel, you first need to enable an option in your Twitch account settings. This is really quick and simple.
Follow the steps below to enable VODs.
- Open Twitch on your browser and sign in to your account.
- Click your avatar, which is located in the top-right corner of your screen. In the menu that appears, select Creator Dashboard.
- You should now see the main panel with various settings related to your Twitch account. On the left, select Settings and then Stream from the dropdown menu.
- In the “VOD Settings” section, enable the Store past broadcasts option.
After finishing your next broadcast, you will be able to find a video (VOD) of it on your channel. To find the video, follow the steps below.
- Click your avatar in the top-right corner of your screen, then select Channel.
- Select Videos from the horizontal menu on your channel, as shown in the image below.
- Here you can see your channel’s videos. Click Edit Videos to access the Video Producer panel.
- Select the video(s) you want to download, then click on the three vertical dots next to the “Watch” option. In the dropdown menu that appears, select Download.
- The video will take a few seconds to process and prepare, then the download will begin.
You have successfully downloaded a Twitch VOD to your PC in .mp4 format. You can store it wherever you think will be safest.
The process is quite different if you want to download a video belonging to someone else’s channel. Read the next section to find out how to do that.
Method 2: Downloading Videos From Other Twitch Channels
For the previous method, we downloaded videos from the Video Producer panel, which is part of our channel. However, as we’re now trying to download a video that belongs to someone else’s channel, this method won’t work.
The solution is to use a Twitch video downloader.
Fortunately, there are numerous downloaders available online. Which downloader you prefer is a matter of personal preference, but our example uses one called Keepvid because of its simple interface and ease of use.
Follow the steps below to successfully download a Twitch video using Keepvid.
- Open the Twitch video you want to download in your browser.
- Select the URL and copy it to your clipboard.
- Paste the URL into the empty bar on Keepvid and press Enter on your keyboard or click “Go”.
- You will be taken to a page where you need to confirm your download by clicking a button. The file will then start downloading to your PC.
You have now successfully downloaded a VOD from somebody else’s channel. Keep it on your PC or any other form of storage if you want to return to it and enjoy it again in the future.
You can specify different qualities for the video if you are worried about a lack of space or want a quicker download.
This Twitch video downloader usually works flawlessly, but you can always try a different one if you encounter any issues.
You can now download any VODs you like from Twitch and store them for viewing in the future.
For more information on VODs, you can read the official article from Twitch covering the topic. Their guide includes answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to the Video on Demand feature.