The role of a Discord server admin or moderator can be pretty fun with organizing events, interacting with hundreds of members, etc.
But, a good admin sometimes has to make difficult decisions too, and one of those decisions is banning users. But, of course, only users that deserve a ban should get one, so there really is no need to feel bad about it.
Unfortunately, even after you use the ban hammer on someone, they still manage to come back to the server, one way or another.
Let’s have a look at the possibilities!
Table of ContentsShow
Discord Bans Are IP-Based
There’s no need to look for a way to IP ban someone because Discord automatically does this for you. Whenever you ban someone from your server, Discord bans their IP, too, to prevent them from rejoining your server.
So, if this person creates a new account, they still won’t be able to join the server.
Keep in mind that with IP bans, any other device under the same network will not be able to join your server. So, it’s a bit of a double-edged sword. The person won’t be able to use other devices (at home) to connect to your server.
But, this also means that any other “innocent” Discord users cannot be part of your server.
With that out of the way, here’s a quick step-by-step guide on banning someone on Discord.
- Open Discord.
- Head over to your server and expand the member list.
- Right-click the specific user you want to ban, and select Ban [User].
That’s it! The user is now IP banned
Users Can Bypass An IP Ban
As an owner/admin of a Discord server, you should be aware of the possible ways users can bypass your ban. However, certain people will try to return to your server, so it’s best to be ready.
Here are some of the IP ban bypass methods:
- Using a VPN – VPNs hide a user’s IP address, so with a new account, they will be able to join your server again.
- Connecting to different networks – All networks/routers have a unique IP address, so users can bypass the ban by connecting to another network.
- Other admins can remove bans – Keep in mind that the admins or moderators in your server might have the power to remove bans. A user might abuse this to get their IP ban withdrawn.