Discord is one of the finest platforms where you can meet with your friends and teammates to play a few rounds of your favorite games or simply hang out and chat.
If you want to keep your conversations and personal data private, you should regularly change your password to something secure. Alternatively, you might have forgotten your password and need to reset it, but you don’t know how to do so.
Here’s what you can do.
Table of ContentsShow
Changing The Password Through Discord
If you can log into your account, you can change your password from either the app or the website.
- Open Discord and go to User Settings.
- In the first tab on the left, My Account, you will find the Change Password option.
- In the new window that opens, you need to input your current (old) password, then write your new, secure password and click Done.
You have now changed your password. You should receive a notification email from Discord to ensure it was you that made the change. There’s no need to respond to this email, as it is just a safety precaution.
This method can be used both for desktop and web app.
Resetting Your Password
If you have forgotten your password and can’t access your Discord account, this method will help you regain access.
- Go to Discord’s login page.
- Enter your email or phone number and select Forgot your password?
- You should receive an email immediately. If you don’t receive it, wait for about 5 minutes. If you still don’t receive a message, repeat the previous steps.
- Open the email and click Reset Password (make sure the email is from email@example.com).
- Enter your new password (remember it this time), and you’re done.
Changing Password On Your Phone
If you don’t currently have a computer and want to promptly modify your Discord password, don’t fret! You can also alter a password from the mobile app.
It’s pretty straightforward, but here’s a quick guide to help you.
- Open Discord on your phone and click your profile picture at the bottom right of the screen.
- This will open User Settings. From here, click the My Account tab.
- Now click Change Password, enter your old password, and then your new one.
That’s all you need to do when using the Discord phone app. We recommend that you either write your password somewhere safe, save it on your computer, or use a secure password manager to keep track of your passwords.
For those interested in extra security, consider adding two-factor authentication.
If you have changed to a stronger password but you want an extra layer of security; add 2FA by completing these steps:
- In User Settings, in the My Account tab, click the Enable Two-Factor Auth button.
- Enter your password when prompted.
- To use 2FA, an authenticator app is required. The recommended apps for Discord are Google Authenticator or Authy. Choose whichever one you prefer and download it.
- Open the authenticator application and scan the QR code on your computer screen.
- The authenticator app will begin generating 6-digit verification codes, which you need to input to activate 2FA.
Two-factor authentication is now active and you will need to input a 6-digit code whenever you log in.
That’s all you need to know about changing your password on Discord and improving your safety. Follow these simple and effective steps to aid in preserving your security!