Discord is one of the best platforms where you can gather with your friends and teammates to play a few rounds of CS:GO.
But, if you want to keep the things you talk about private, you will need to change your account’s password to something better. Or, if you have just forgotten your password and you want to reset it.
Here’s what you can do:
Changing The Password Through Discord
If you are able to log in to your account, you can change the password from the app itself or the website.
- Open Discord and head on over to User Settings.
- In the very first tab on the left, My Account, you will see the option Change Password.
- In the new window that opens, you will need to input your current (old) password, then write the new, stronger one and click Save.
That is all that you need to do. You will also get a notification mail from Discord to ensure that it was you that made the change. There is no need to respond to it as it’s just a safety precaution.
Keep in mind, this method can be used both for the desktop and web app.
Resetting Your Password
For those that have forgotten their password and cannot access their Discord account, this is the method you should use.
- Go to Discord’s login page.
- Write down your Email or Phone Number and Select Forgot your password?
- You should get an email immediately. If you don’t, wait for at least 5 minutes. If you still don’t get it, repeat the previous steps.
- Open up the email and click Reset Password (make sure the email is from firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Input your new password (remember it this time) and you’re done.
Changing Password On Your Phone
If you do not have access to a computer at the moment and you want to get on Discord immediately, you can change the password from the phone’s application too.
It’s pretty straightforward, but here’s a quick guide either way.
- Open Discord on your phone and click on your profile picture at the bottom right of the screen.
- This will open User Settings. From here, click on the My Account tab.
- Now click on Change Password, input your old password, and then your new one.
That’s all you have to do when on the Discord phone app. We recommend that you either write down your password somewhere, save it on your computer, or use a password manager to keep track of your passwords.
For those interested into extra security, consider adding two-factor authentication.
If you have changed to a stronger password, but you want to ensure that your account is always safe, add 2FA by following these steps:
- Back in User Settings in the My Account tab click the Enable Two-Factor Auth button.
- Input your password in the prompt.
- For 2FA, an authenticator app will be required. The recommended apps from Discord are either Google Authenticator or Authy. Pick and download whichever of these.
- Open the authenticator application and scan the QR code on your computer screen.
- The authenticator app will now start generating the 6-digit verification codes which you will need to input to activate 2FA.
From then on, two-factor authentication is activated and you will always need to input that 6-digit code when logging in.
That’s all we can teach you about changing password on Discord and improving your security.