Twitch wouldn’t be the same without its caring and supportive community.
One of the biggest reasons for the success of this world-leading streaming platform is the many heartwarming stories involving donations and charity.
In case you don’t already know, there are multiple ways to support broadcasters on Twitch. One of these is by donating.
Donations are a great way to show appreciation if you enjoy someone’s content and think they deserve more for what they provide!
This guide will show you how to send a Twitch donation through various methods, step-by-step.
Table of ContentsShow
Method 1: Donate Money
The first method is to donate funds using a third-party payment provider. Streamers usually prefer PayPal as it is popular and widely available.
Here’s what you need to do if you want to donate money to a broadcaster.
- Open Twitch in your browser and log into the website with your credentials.
- Open the channel of the broadcaster you want to support. Scroll down below the video player window and find their “donate” section.
- Click the donation link. Please note that many streamers have unique graphics and donation sections.
- After clicking the link, you will be redirected to a page where you need to enter the necessary information for the donation. You will need to provide your Twitch username, donation message, and other extras that the streamer included.
- Complete the donation by adding your payment information.
If everything works as intended, the broadcaster should soon receive your donation.
If the streamer you donated to has an active donation-notifying system, and there are several donations before yours, it may take some time for the other donations to process before your donation message appears on the broadcaster’s screen.
Method 2: Cheer And Donate Bits
If you don’t want to donate money and prefer donating Bits instead, you can do so by following the steps below.
- Log into your Twitch account so you can purchase Bits.
- Choose the number of Bits you want to purchase and confirm the transaction.
- Open the channel of the broadcaster you want to support.
- In the chat window, type “cheer” and add the number of Bits you wish to send with your message. For example, “cheer200” means you’ll donate 200 Bits, “cheer500” means 500 Bits, and so on.
- You’ve now donated to the streamer in the form of Bits.
Bits are an official currency on Twitch, and they are the preferred type of donation for many users. It’s also more fun to cheer with Bits than donating money in the “traditional” way.
Twitch introduced Bits back in 2016, and you can find the official introduction article here. If you want to learn more about Bits in general, you can read Twitch’s official article on the subject here.
Reasons Why Viewers Donate To Streamers
The reason viewers donate to their favorite broadcasters is relatively simple and understandable. They want to give more to those who provide quality content and show their appreciation.
However, donations can also be given strategically.
For example, you might be a game developer, and the streamer you’re watching is about to play a game based on chat and community suggestions. You probably want your game to be chosen.
Donations usually attract more attention than other chat messages. You could compose a nice donation message and send it. The streamer then reads it out loud, and your game gets chosen.
This is just one of the strategic ways people use donations.
Occasionally viewers try to “outbid” each other by sending a larger donation, and the broadcaster might state that all donations go to charity.
Whatever your reason, supporting your favorite broadcasters is always good. Consider donating if you have the extra funds for it.
In the section below, you’ll find some fun facts about Twitch donations. It’s no secret that donations have become a significant part of Twitch culture.
If you want to learn more about other large donations on Twitch, you should take a look at this article.
Now you know how to contribute to your favorite broadcasters using either Bits or money. You will now be able to show them more support for their content in the future!
If you are a broadcaster and want to set up donations for your channel, our guide is full of great information to help you accomplish this!