Twitch wouldn’t be the same without its supportive and caring community. Many believe the success of this world-leading streaming platform is a product of the numerous heartwarming stories involving donations and charity.
For those who don’t know, there are multiple ways to support broadcasters on Twitch. One of them is donating.
If you appreciate someone’s content and believe they deserve more for what they do, donating is a great way to show your gratitude!
This guide will help you learn how to do that.
Method 1: Donate Money
The first method is to donate funds using a third-party payment provider. Usually, streamers choose PayPal since it’s popular and widely available.
Here’s what you need to do when you want to donate money to a broadcaster.
- Open Twitch on your browser and log into the website with your credentials.
- Next, open the channel of the broadcaster you want to support. Scroll down below the video player window, and find their “donate” section.
- Click on the donation link. Please note that most streamers have unique graphics and different-looking donation sections.
- Once you click on the link, you’ll get redirected to a page where you need to fill out the information necessary for the upcoming donation. Your Twitch username, donation message, and other extras that the streamer included are some of the fields you’ll need to fill.
- The final step is to complete the donation by adding your payment information.
The broadcaster should receive your donation soon if everything goes well with the payment.
Please note that if the streamer you donated to has an active donation-notifying system, and there are more than a few donations before yours, it may take some time for those to process before your donation message shows up on their screen.
Method 2: Cheer And Donate Bits
If you don’t like to donate money and prefer donating Bits instead, you can do so by following the steps below.
- Log into your Twitch account so you can purchase bits.
- Choose the number of bits you want to purchase and confirm the transaction.
- Open the channel of the broadcaster you wish to support.
- In the chat window, type “cheer” and add the number of bits you wish to cheer with through your message. For example, “cheer200” means you’ll donate 200 bits, “cheer500” means 500 bits, and so on…
- You’ve now donated to the streamer in the form of bits.
Bits are an official currency on Twitch.tv, and they are the preferred choice of donating for many users. It’s also more fun to cheer with bits than donating money in the “traditional” way.
Twitch introduced Bits back in 2016, and you can find the official introduction article here. If you’d like to learn more about Bits in general, you can check Twitch’s official article covering this topic here.
Reasons Why Viewers Donate To Streamers
The reason viewers donate to their broadcasters seems relatively simple and understandable. We want to give more to those who put out quality content. Charity is what our world needs more of.
However, donations are sometimes used strategically as well.
Let’s say you’re a game developer, and the streamer you’re watching is about to play a game based on the chat and community suggestions. You want your game to be chosen.
We all know that donations are easily viewed more than chat messages. So, you compose a nice donation message and send it. The streamer reads it out loud, and your game gets chosen.
This is just one of the strategic ways people use donations.
Occasionally viewers try to “outbid” each other by sending a larger donation, and sometimes the broadcaster states that all donations go to charity.
No matter the reason, supporting your favorite broadcasters is always good, so consider donating if you have the extra funds for it.
In the section below, you’ll find some fun facts about Twitch.tv donations. After all, it’s no secret that donations became a significant part of Twitch’s culture.
If you want to see further information about other similar large donations on Twitch, you can take a look at this article.
Now you know how to contribute to your favorite broadcasters using either bits or money. Feel free to support them in the future!
If you are a broadcaster yourself and you’re looking to set up donations for your channel, our guide is full of great information to help you set that up!