Do you enjoy watching movies or TV shows with your friends? Well, of course you do, that’s why you’re here reading this article.
However, gathering your friend group in one place to watch a movie is not always so simple. Not everyone has the time or will to do that. But, inviting everyone in one Discord server is pretty easy and with the help of streaming, watching a Netflix movie is actually possible.
Unfortunately, if your movie is on Netflix, the only thing your friends will see on the stream is a black screen. This is known to happen because Netflix has some copyright protections rights in place, but it also might be a hardware/software related issue.
But, what if there is a way you can bypass/fix this? Don’t worry, we won’t tell Netflix.
Let’s fix that black screen!
Turn Off Browser Hardware Acceleration
There are a couple of ways you can resolve this problem, so let’s look at the most basic solution and that’s turning off hardware accelerationon your browser.
How to turn off hardware acceleration on Chrome:
- Open Chrome and click on the three dots (top-right).
- In the drop down menu, click on Settings.
- Next, use Chrome’s settings search engine and type hardware acceleration.
- Click on “Use hardware acceleration when available” to flip the switch off.
- Click relaunch!
How to turn off hardware acceleration on Firefox:
- Start Firefox, click the menu button (same location as Chrome) and hit Settings.
- Go into the General tab and uncheck recommended performance settings.
- Uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration when available” option.
- Restart Firefox.
With hardware acceleration disabled, start the movie you want to watch on Netflix and head over to Discord. Run the stream and ask your friends whether they still see a black screen.
Note: you could also try disabling hardware acceleration on Discord.
If this does not fix your issue, let’s try something else!
Add Browser In Discord’s Game Library
Another easy fix you could try to get rid of that black screen is by making Discord think the browser is a game.
You can do that by adding the browser into Discord’s Game Library, and here’s how:
- Run Discord and head straight to User Settings. That’s the small cogwheel on the bottom left of the screen.
- On your left, you’ll see a menu of a bunch of settings. Look for the Activity Status tab and click it.
- Here, click on the blue Add it! button.
- Find your browser in the dropdown menu and click on Add Game.
With your browser added into Discord’s game library, go back to the Discord main screen and start streaming.
Now start the movie on Netflix and check whether the black screen issue has been resolved.
Try A Different Browser
If none of the fixes above are resolving your black screen issue, there may be an issue with the browser. The qucikest way we can determine that is by trying a different browser.
It may be a good idea to disable hardware acceleration on the new browser you want to try.
Have Your Friend Stream Netflix
We are running out of solutions for this problem which is why it might be a good idea to let your friend stream Netlfix on stream. Doing this will not only let you watch the movie together, but it will also confirm if there is actually something wrong with your computer.
Just be mindful when sharing your account because Netflix is supposedly planning to do a password sharing crackdown, requiring users to pay extra to use the services in multiple households.