Twitch is the world’s most popular online live streaming platform. Although its success is largely the result of many world-class entertainers putting in countless hours and hard work, this would be impossible without the platform’s excellent design.
Community members say that Twitch wouldn’t be as fun to use if it didn’t have a strong social component.
The power to find new individuals and connect with them is the real charm of Twitch. This is achievable through Twitch’s whisper feature, which you will become familiar with in this manual.
Table of ContentsShow
What Does Whispering On Twitch Mean?
If you have used Twitch at least once before, you are probably already familiar with the basics of chatting on the platform. Every broadcaster’s room has a chat box where viewers can communicate with each other and interact with the host.
However, this chat is public. This means the broadcaster and viewers can all see whatever you type in.
If you want to message someone privately, whether it’s the host or a fellow viewer, you can do this by using the whisper function.
There are two methods to accomplish this. One of them is handy when you have the username of the person you wish to message, but they are not presently engaged in any chat. The other can be utilized when you want to message someone who is in the identical chat.
Read the sections below to learn both methods.
Whispering Someone On Twitch In The Same Chat Room
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Twitch on your browser and sign in using your credentials. You must be signed in to whisper to other viewers. You cannot use this feature as a guest.
- Open a stream and wait until you have connected to the chat room. If your internet connection is fast and stable, this shouldn’t take more than a second.
- Find the user you want to message and left-click their name. A few options will appear in a box. Click Whisper.
- A chat window will open. Type a message and press Enter on your keyboard, as you would when using any other chat app.
There is also another method for this approach, which involves using the /w command. This avoids the need to click on a username and select whisper (as shown in the image above).
If you already know the username of the person you want to whisper to (in this example, we will use PCStrike1), type /w PCStrike1 and your message, then press Enter on your keyboard to send.
Your communication should resemble this:
/w PCStrike1 Hey, I really like your website, it has many informative guides, and it helped me learn a lot!
Here’s one more illustration in a screenshot to assist you in picturing the procedure.
You now know how to get in touch with fellow users who are watching the same stream. How can you whisper to a Twitch member who is offline, or if you can’t find their name in a chat? Read the following section to find out more.
Whispering On Twitch Directly Via The Message Box
If you want to message someone on Twitch, you can do it using the private message inbox feature.
If you’re unsure how to find it, take a look at the steps below:
- Open Twitch and sign in to your account.
- At the top of the website’s home screen, click on the Whispers icon, which is located in the bar menu.
- Your private inbox will open. Use the search function to find the user. See the image below for further guidance.
- In the list of search results, click on the username of the person you want to message. A chat window will open where you can type your message.
Note: Never share your personal information or passwords when chatting with others on Twitch. Members of the Twitch support team will never ask for these details.
Be friendly when messaging other users. Saying things that violate Twitch’s policy could get you banned from the platform.
There you have it! You now know how to send a private message to other Twitch users. You can use this feature to find potential teammates to play with, ask questions, or even make new friends.
Everybody needs a teammate to play with.