Crunchyroll is an online streaming service boasting millions of active monthly users.
One of the main reasons for the platform’s success is the rich number of anime titles it provides to viewers worldwide, most of which are available for free.
However, just because the content can be accessed for free, users often have their viewing experience interrupted by advertisements, as the platform has to sustain its existence by earning ad revenue.
This model is fair and understandable, but sometimes the ads become overwhelming and make it difficult to enjoy watching your favorite anime.
Does this sound like a problem you’re facing at the moment? Keep on reading to learn how to solve it.
Table of ContentsShow
The Problem Explained
As mentioned above, many websites use the same model of earning revenue by showing advertisements to their viewers, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that you’ll have the same experience on Crunchyroll too.
However, there are some times when the ads become way too unbearable and negatively impact the watching experience, in which case the users rely on their AdBlockers to deal with the issue.
Unfortunately, there are times when not even the best AdBlockers such as uBlock Origin can prevent the intrusive ads from showing in the middle of your anime episodes, and the Crunchyroll community is not quite fond of this.
Since this issue occurred, users have searched desperately on forums and websites for solutions.
Thankfully, this guide contains numerous methods you can try to make your experience on Crunchyroll completely ad-free, so take a look at the sections below where we cover more about this in detail.
Fix 1: Update Your AdBlock Extensions List
To avoid seeing ads on Crunchyroll, you can apply the simplest solution by following the steps below:
- Open Chrome on your PC and open the Action Menu. Then, click More Tools and, on the final menu, select Extensions.
- In the top-right corner, enable Developer mode.
- Click Update to download the latest versions of your currently installed extensions. You should only need to wait a short time for the process to complete.
- When the process is finished, re-open your Chrome browser and open Crunchyroll again. Try watching something. The ads should now be blocked.
The AdBlock team works tirelessly to provide updates to help users overcome any new ad issues they encounter. However, sometimes we forget to manually update our extensions, and automatic updates might not have been installed.
If this doesn’t work, try the solution below.
Fix 2: Block The Ad Source By Changing The Hosts File
At first glance, this solution might seem complicated. However, the step-by-step guide below will ensure you can apply it with ease.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Close Chrome if it is currently active on your PC.
- Press the Windows + S keys on your keyboard and type Notepad in the search box, then right-click the first result and select Run as Administrator.
- Once Notepad is open, navigate to the top menu and click File, then Open.
- Change the setting next to the “File name” field and set it to All Files. Then, open your hosts file folder, which is usually located at “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc” and open the hosts file within.
- You should now see a document with various information you likely aren’t familiar with but don’t worry. The final step is easy to complete. Scroll down to the bottom of the document and press “Enter” on your keyboard to begin a new line.
- In the empty line you just created, copy and paste the following: “127.0.0.1 static.vrv.co” without quotation marks. Press CTRL + S to save your changes.
- Close the file.
Open Crunchyroll again and see if it still displays ads. Many users have reported that this method helped them solve the problem, so it should also work for you.
Fix 3: Use A VPN To “Dodge” Ads
Crunchyroll users reported that using a Virtual Private Network Service (VPN) while accessing the website helped them “dodge” advertisements.
This is because ads cannot be displayed in specific countries, so “masking” your location and “tricking” Crunchyroll into thinking that you come from such a country can help you avoid receiving advertisements.
A few examples of such countries are Russia, Ukraine, North Macedonia, Serbia, Costa Rica, and Mexico.
If you want to use this method but aren’t sure which VPN to choose, or it’s your first time doing so, we have a helpful guide covering everything you need to know on this topic.
What This Does
Making changes to your PC that you don’t understand can be a worrying experience. This is why we have provided an explanation to help you understand what you did with the previous method.
The line of characters you added to the file will help you “trick” the system into believing the ads are on your system, which they aren’t. This means the ad playback will fail, leaving you with ad-free content.
Alternative Solution: Use uBlock Origin
uBlock Origin appears to work better than AdBlock on certain websites, including Crunchyroll. If you can’t find another solution to the problem, installing uBlock Origin as your chosen extension could save you a great deal of time and avoid potential frustration.
If your AdBlock is not working on some websites, this is usually the result of developers finding new ways to display ads. Thankfully, new solutions are constantly being developed. This frequent power shifting will likely continue for a long time, as both sides are very persistent.