Crunchyroll is an online streaming service used by millions of people every day. One of the main reasons for the platform’s rapid rise is the huge number of anime titles it provides to viewers around the world, which can be seen for free.
However, although this content can be accessed for free, users will have their viewing interrupted by numerous advertisements.
This model is fair and understandable, but sometimes the ads can become overwhelming and make it difficult to enjoy watching your favorite anime. There are times when even AdBlock can’t help you avoid these commercial interruptions.
Table of ContentsShow
The Problem Explained
Many internet users install adblockers to avoid intrusive ads. The owners of websites that display these ads are unhappy with this and develop countermeasures to ensure ads are still shown.
When it comes to trying to show ads, Crunchyroll is no exception.
Since this occurred, users have searched desperately on forums and websites for solutions. This guide contains the most effective methods to overcome this problem, so you no longer need to have your anime viewing interrupted.
Fix 1: Update Your AdBlock Extensions List
To avoid seeing ads on Crunchyroll, you can apply the simplest solution by following the steps below:
- Open Chrome on your PC and open the Action Menu. Then, click More Tools and, on the final menu, select Extensions.
- In the top-right corner, enable Developer mode.
- Click Update to download the latest versions of your currently installed extensions. You should only need to wait a short time for the process to complete.
- When the process is finished, re-open your Chrome browser and open Crunchyroll again. Try watching something. The ads should now be blocked.
The AdBlock team works tirelessly to provide updates to help their users overcome any new ad issues they encounter. However, sometimes we forget to manually update our extensions, and automatic updates might not have been installed.
If this doesn’t work, try the solution below.
Fix 2: Block The Ad-Source By Changing The Hosts File
At first glance, this solution might seem complicated. However, the step-by-step guide below will ensure you can apply it with ease.
- Close Chrome if it is currently active on your PC.
- Open Notepad by pressing the Windows key and typing Notepad, then right-clicking it and selecting Run as Administrator.
- In Notepad, go to the top menu and click File, then Open.
- Change the setting next to the “File name” field and set it to All Files. Then, open your hosts file folder which is usually located at “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc” and select the hosts file. Open it.
- You should now see a document with various information that you probably don’t understand, but don’t worry. The final step is easy to complete. Scroll down to the bottom of the document and press “Enter” on your keyboard to begin a new line.
- In the empty line you just created, copy and paste the following: “127.0.0.1 static.vrv.co” without the quotation marks. Press CTRL + S to save your changes.
- Close the file.
Open Crunchyroll again and see if it still displays ads. Many users have reported that this method helped them solve the problem, so it should also work for you.
What This Does
Making changes to your PC that you don’t understand can be a worrying experience. This is why we have provided an explanation to help you understand what you did in the previous method.
The line of characters you added to the file will help you “trick” the system into believing the ads are on your system, which they aren’t. This means the ad-playback will fail, leaving you with ad-free content.
Alternative Solution: Use uBlock Origin
uBlock Origin appears to work better than AdBlock on certain websites, including Crunchyroll. If you can’t find another solution to the problem, installing uBlock Origin as your chosen extension could save you a great deal of time and avoid potential frustration.
If your AdBlock is not working on some websites, this is usually the result of developers finding new ways to display ads. Thankfully, new solutions are constantly being developed. This frequent shifting of power will likely continue for a long time, as both sides are very persistent.