Gamers have been looking for the perfect user-friendly communication application for years.
Sure, gamers have been using great programs these past few decades, such as Skype, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and others, but none of them delivered what Discord brought to the table.
It is now considered one of the most intuitive VoIP apps globally for students, gamers, and even businesses.
Easy to use, easy to install, reliable servers, and filled with tons of features.
Unfortunately, not everyone gets the “easy to install” experience. A lot of users have had trouble with Discord not installing.
If you’ve had the same kind of trouble, we’ve got you. Here are several possible fixes.
Fix 1: Remove Previous Discord Installation
A common reason why people are having installation issues with Discord is that the application is probably already installed on the device.
Discord’s installation process is pretty straightforward and low-profile. Meaning, it installs within a few seconds of starting the setup file with no need to follow any setup instructions. So basically, people install it without even noticing.
However, you might have an old version of Discord that hasn’t been completely removed or perhaps some old cache left in your computer that may be corrupting the save. Either way, we have a fix for this.
Here’s what you will need to do to clear your computer from old Discord versions.
- Open Start Menu, search and open Add or Remove Programs
- On the new window with a list full of applications, look for Discord.
- Select it and click Uninstall
- It should automatically uninstall in a matter of seconds.
Once you’ve successfully uninstalled the older version of Discord, you can try installing the new version. If it’s still not working, you should continue with Fix 2 to delete the remaining cache.
Fix 2: Removing Discord Cache
- Press Windows key + R. This will open up the Run program
- Type in %appdata%. This will redirect you to Windows’ storage for cache
- Look for the discord folder and delete it
- Head back one folder up to reach C:\Users\Your UserName\AppData and head into Local
- Again look for the Discord folder and delete it.
Now it is certain that any trace of the old Discord version on your computer has been completely erased. As a result, it should now be possible to install Discord on your computer easily.
If not, head over to the other fixes below.
Fix 3: Run The Program As Administrator
Windows can commonly cause problems with certain applications and installation files because of a lack of permissions.
Therefore, even if the Windows user you utilize has administrator privileges, the Discord installation you are trying to launch might lack the necessary permissions.
To give the app those necessary permissions, here’s what you can try:
- Right-click DiscordSetup.exe (setup file)
- Select Run as Administrator
That’s it. By running the application with administrator rights, the installation should continue without any errors.
Fix 4: Add An Anti-Virus exclusion
Windows Security, the default anti-virus software on every Windows device, is known to prevent certain applications from launching, properly installing, and updating. This may be causing your problem.
To stop Windows Security from preventing you from installing Discord, try this:
- Click the upwards arrow next to the clock and tray icons on the taskbar and double-click the shield icon (Windows Security).
- Once Window Security is open, go to Virus & Threat Protection and then head over to Manage settings right under Virus & Threat Protection settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and look for Add or remove exclusions.
- Add a file exclusion and select DiscordSetup.exe in your browser download folder.
With an exclusion added, the anti-virus shouldn’t be interfering with the installation process anymore.
Bonus Fix: Redownload The Setup File
If you are still getting the same type of trouble or error even after adding an anti-virus exclusion, you should try downloading the Discord setup file again.
Windows Security might have permanently blocked or deleted important parts of the file. So, you may have to head over to the official Discord website and download a new setup while deleting the old one.
By implementing these fixes in your troubleshooting process, you won’t have any Discord installation problems in the future.