Steam is a world-leading gaming platform preferred by millions of gamers around the globe.
One of the main benefits that Steam provides to its users is the ability to keep an entire digital game collection in one place in an organized virtual library.
If you ever decide to uninstall a Steam game from your system, you won’t lose your ownership of that title. It will always be available to reinstall via the Steam library.
How exactly does a user uninstall a game from Steam? Find out in this guide.
Table of ContentsShow
Uninstalling Games Through The Steam Library
Removing a game from the list of installed titles on your PC is very easy. Steam is a user-friendly platform, so the process is as straightforward as you might expect.
If you are a new Steam user or have never uninstalled a game before, follow the steps below to learn how to do it.
- Open the Steam client on your PC and sign in to your account.
- On the menu to the top-left corner of your screen, left-click on Library.
- You will see your Steam library on the left side of your screen. This is a list of all the games you own or have added to Steam. Find the Steam game you wish to uninstall and right-click on it. Then, select Manage and Uninstall.
The client will display one last confirmation message to reduce your chances of accidentally uninstalling a game. When you click the blue button that says “Uninstall,” the process will begin.
Steam should now automatically remove all files associated with the game. This is a quick process and generally takes no longer than a minute.
Steam usually retains your game save files. If you re-download the game, you should be able to continue playing from where you left off.
This isn’t the case for every game, but it applies to the majority of “AAA” titles available on Steam.
Uninstalling Games Through “Apps and Features” On Windows
Another way to uninstall Steam games is through the “Apps and Features” panel on Windows 10.
Here’s how to do that.
- Click the search bar on Windows to open the search. Type “Apps & Features,” as shown in the image below.
- Click the first result that appears, which should open the panel you need. See the image below for more information.
- Now that you’re in the panel search the list for the game you want to uninstall. After finding it, click on it and select “Uninstall” as you would when removing any other software from your PC.
If you try to do this without being logged into Steam, the log-in screen will appear. This only applies when you try to uninstall a game that you previously installed via Steam.
Simply sign in to your Steam account and the process will automatically complete. You will then be logged back out of Steam.
This is why it’s preferable to manually log into your Steam account beforehand if you intend to use this method to uninstall multiple games in quick succession.
Now that you know how to uninstall Steam games, you should be able to free up more space on your system for other important things (or other games).
Keeping single-player games installed on your PC for a long time is usually a waste of space, especially if you have already completed them.
Don’t be afraid to free up some system space. The games will remain in your Steam library, ready for you to download and play them again!