Secure Browser is a product by Avast, a company that is well known for creating one of the most popular antivirus programs in the world.
The browser is free to download and use, so you might be wondering why anyone would want to uninstall it, leave bad feedback, or criticize the company for creating it in the first place.
In reality, the issue is not the browser itself but the way in which the company distributes its products, which many users find to be intrusive.
Table of ContentsShow
The Problem Explained
After downloading Avast antivirus or an update for it, users have reported that there is a new browser running on startup without any permission.
The software automatically assigns itself as the default browser on people’s systems, again without requesting the user’s permission.
Many users find this unacceptable, as evidenced by this popular Reddit thread, and they want to remove the browser. Some even uninstall the Avast antivirus software and switch to a different provider in response.
Uninstalling is simple if you adhere to the directions supplied in this guide.
Note: If you don’t want to uninstall the browser but simply prevent it from opening each time your system boots up automatically, our guide covers this topic thoroughly and has all the instructions you need.
Fix 1: Uninstall Via The Apps And Features Panel
This is the simplest and, for most users, the most recognized way to remove software from your system.
Follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + X on your keyboard and select “Apps and Features” from the menu that appears. If you don’t have access to a keyboard, you can right-click the Start button on your taskbar instead.
- In the list of installed programs, find Avast’s Secure Browser and click it. The uninstall option should appear.
- Uninstall the browser and reboot your system. Rebooting is not required, but it is recommended.
If you would rather use a separate method, you can also remove the program using Avast’s uninstall tool. Take a look below.
Fix 2: Use Avast’s Uninstalling Tool
If you want to uninstall Secure Browser because you no longer trust the company, this method probably isn’t the most logical choice. While it is an uninstall tool, you are still using the software that Avast created.
According to what some users have said on this subject, the uninstall tool doesn’t cause any issues during the process, seemingly confirming that it is safe to use.
You can find Avast’s Uninstall Utility here. To use it, follow the steps below:
- Download the utility using the link above.
- Open the .exe file and select the folder where you installed Avast and its additional features. Ensure you choose the correct folder because the program will delete everything it contains—Double-check before confirming.
- Click Remove and wait a few seconds while the utility completes the process.
- When it has finished, restart your computer.
You should now uninstall Avast from your computer, including all additional features like the VPN and Secure Browser.
If you want to re-install the software, you can do this easily by downloading the latest version from Avast’s website. Then you simply need to follow the straightforward setup instructions.