Discord is a great communication tool for gamers and students alike, but even the best applications sometimes encounter issues.
You might be about to start a group study session or an anticipated match in CS: GO, but you can’t seem to hear anyone. This is a major problem and one that needs to be resolved as soon as possible. Fortunately, it shouldn’t be too complicated to correct.
Here are a few fixes you can try to get your Discord audio back!
Table of ContentsShow
Fix 1 – Check Windows Volume Mixer
If you’ve just logged into your computer and Discord, one of the first things you should check is the Volume Mixer in Windows to ensure the application isn’t muted. Here is how to do that:
- On the bottom right of your screen, next to the clock, right-click the volume/speaker icon. If you can’t see it, press the little upward-pointing arrow. This will open a small pop-up window, containing the volume icon.
- Select Volume Mixer
- A small window will open, displaying several volume bars. You might need to adjust the one for the Discord application. Make sure it isn’t too low or muted at 0%
If you still can’t find the volume icon on the taskbar, use Method 2.
- In the Start Menu, select Settings (Cogwheel above Power button)
- From Settings, go into System and then the Sound tab on the left
- Scroll to the bottom and open App volume and device preferences
- From this menu, you can easily adjust the volume for any application
If the Discord app was muted in the Volume Mixer, you shouldn’t encounter any further issues. However, if this was not the case, move on to the other fixes.
Fix 2 – Server Deafened
Discord servers may have an automatic mute/deafen assigned by admins for new members, as suggested in Discord’s official troubleshooting guide.
To resolve this issue, you will need to ask one of the admins to remove the mute, or you need to follow the server’s process to become approved.
Fix 3 – Turn Off Deafen
If this is one of the first times that you have used the Discord application, we recommend familiarizing yourself with the different commands and features. One of the most useful tools is the universal Mute and Deafen button.
By enabling Deafen, you will automatically “mute” everyone else in the channel, meaning you won’t be able to hear any of them.
To disable this option, look at the bottom left of Discord while in a server. You will see a headphone icon with a red line across it, indicating that Deafen is enabled. Click the icon to disable it.
Fix 4 – Check Discord Audio Settings
If the Deafen feature is turned off and you still can’t hear anyone in the voice channel, you should check the application’s Audio Settings. Here is a step-by-step guide on what to do.
- Open User Settings by clicking the cogwheel to the right of Deafen
- You will see a list of several different settings categories on the left. Open Voice & Video
- Ensure the correct headphones or speakers are selected in Output Device
- Also, check that the volume bar under Output Device is set to at least 50%
Fix 5 – Try Web Version
If none of the above fixes work for you, consider trying the web version of Discord to ensure the problem isn’t with your computer or the application itself.
To use the web version of Discord, open your browser and paste https://discord.com/app into the address bar. Log in and join a voice channel to discover whether or not you can hear your friends.
If everything is working properly while using the web app, the issue is likely with the desktop application. To fix this, you might have to reinstall it.
Fix 6 – Reinstall Discord
If the web version of Discord works but the desktop application doesn’t, it is time to reinstall the app.
- Type Discord in the Start Menu
- Right-click the Discord icon and select Uninstall
- This will open the Programs and Features window where you can find Discord
- Once you have Discord selected, press Uninstall again
- When the process is finished, download the desktop app from the official website and start the setup.
- Complete the installation process and then open Discord.
After reinstalling Discord, everything should be working properly, and you will be able to hear your friends again while sharing a voice channel.
Fix 7 – Change the Server Region
The reason that you are unable to hear anyone might not be due to your computer or the application itself. It could also be caused by the server region, which sometimes occurs when Discord’s servers are under maintenance.
To ensure that this is not the cause, you might need to change the server region. Here’s how:
- Right-click the Server icon on the left and select Server Settings
- In the Overview tab, you should see a dropdown menu to change the region
- Switch to the region that is closest to your location.
Regions are gradually being dedicated to voice channels instead of the entire server, which means switching regions for a voice channel requires a different process. Follow these steps to address this:
- Hover over the voice channel name and click the cogwheel
- Open the Region Override dropdown menu and select a different region
After you have successfully switched your region, rejoin a voice channel and find out whether or not you can hear your friends.
These are the most common fixes for this type of audio issue. If you try each of them, you should be able to resolve the problem, and you can finally hear your friends again while playing games together.