Discord is an awesome communication tool for gamers and students alike, but even the best applications can sometimes have issues.
Right before you start a group study or that anticipated match in CS:GO, you can’t seem to hear anyone. That is a huge problem and it needs to be resolved immediately.
Here are a few fixes you can try that will help your case!
Fix 1 – Check Windows Volume Mixer
If you’ve just started your computer and Discord, one of the first things you should check is the Volume Mixer in Windows to ensure that the application is not muted. Here’s how you can do that:
- On the bottom right of your screen, next to the clock, right-click the volume/speaker icon. (If you don’t see it, press the little upward-pointing arrow. This will expand a small pop-up window and you will see it.)
- Select Volume Mixer
- A small window will open and you will see several volume bars. You will need to adjust the one for the Discord application. Make sure it’s not too low or at 0%
If you can’t seem to find the volume icon on the taskbar, use Method 2.
- In Start Menu select Settings (Cogwheel above Shut Down button)
- From Settings, go into System and then in the Sound tab on the left
- Scroll to the bottom and open up App volume and device preferences
- From here you can easily adjust the volume for any application
If the Discord app was muted in the Volume Mixer, you shouldn’t have any issues anymore. If that was not the case, move on to the other fixes.
Fix 2 – Server Deafened
Often, servers on Discord may have an automatic mute/deafen set in place by admins for new members as suggested by the official troubleshooting guide by Discord.
To resolve this issue you will need to talk to one of the admins to remove the mute or you will need to follow the server’s guide to get approved.
Fix 3 – Turn Off Deafen
If this is one of the first times you are using this application, you will need to get familiar with all of the commands and features. One of the most useful commands has to be the universal Mute and Deafen button.
By enabling Deafen, you will automatically “mute” everyone else in the channel and you won’t be able to hear anyone.
To disable it, look at the bottom left screen of Discord while in a server. You will see a headphone icon with a red line over it indicating it’s enabled. Click it to disable it.
Fix 4 – Check Discord Audio Settings
If the Deafen feature is turned off and you still can’t seem to hear anyone in the voice channel, you might have to check the application’s Audio Settings. Here is a step-by-step guide on what you should do.
- Open User Settings by clicking thecogwheel right next to Deafen
- On the left you will see a list of several different settings categories. Go into Voice & Video
- Check if the right headphones or speakers are selected in Output Device
- Also, Make sure the volume bar under Output Device is set at least 50%
Fix 5 – Try Web Version
When none of the fixes above are working for you, it might be a good idea to try the web version of Discord to ensure that the problem isn’t with your computer or the application itself.
To open the web version of Discord, open your browser and paste https://discord.com/app into the address bar. Login and join a voice channel to see whether you can hear your friends.
If everything is working okay with the web app, the issue is probably with the desktop application. You may have to reinstall it.
Fix 6 – Reinstall Discord
When the web version of Discord works and the desktop application doesn’t, it is time to reinstall it.
- Type Discord in Start Menu
- Right click the icon and select Uninstall
- This will open up the Programs and Features window and search for Discord
- Once you have it selected, press Uninstall again
- When the process is finished, download the desktop app from the official website and start the setup
- Follow through the installation process and then open Discord
By reinstalling Discord, everything should be working properly now and you will be able to hear your mates when in a voice channel.
Fix 7 – Change the Server Region
The reason why you are unable to hear anyone may not be due to the application itself or your computer. The cause could be the server region. This tends to happen when Discord’s servers are under maintenance.
To ensure that this is not the issue, you may need to change the server region and here’s how:
- Right click the Server icon on the left and select Server Settings
- In the Overview tab, you should see a dropdown menu to change the region
- Switch to the region that is closest to your location
Regions are now slowly being dedicated for voice channels instead of the entire server. The process for switching regions for a voice channel is different.
- Hover over the voice channel name and click the cogwheel
- Open the Region Override dropdown menu and select a different region
After you have successfully switched the region, rejoin a voice channel and check whether you can hear your friends.
These are the most common fixes for this type of issue. If you go through all of these, you will surely resolve the problem and you can finally start playing that match you’ve been planning.