The power to make images transparent is one of the many benefits of modern virtual design tools. Even if you aren’t a professional graphics designer, you have likely encountered this challenge at least once before.
For the majority of PC enthusiasts, Microsoft Paint is the introductory software that opened up a whole new world of creativity and ideas. Although the software might look rather simple at first glance, this built-in Windows app is capable of some amazing things.
In this guide, you will learn how to make the background of an image “transparent” by cutting out part of it and using that cutout in a separate paint project or a different design in third-party software.
Table of ContentsShow
Removing The Background From An Image In Paint (Cutout)
Microsoft Paint is not the first tool designers think of to accomplish this task, but it’s still possible to remove an image’s background using this simple yet effective app.
If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop installed on your PC, simply follow these steps, and you will complete the task in no time using Microsoft Paint.
- Open the search function on Windows and type in Paint. Press Enter on your keyboard to open the app. See the image below for further guidance.
- In the top-left corner, click File and then Open from the list of options. This will open the File Explorer, which you can use to select the image you want to insert into Paint.
- From the list of tools, select the Free-Form Selection option. This tool will allow you to freely draw a shape around the object you want to cut out from the image.
- Draw a shape around the part of the image you want to cut out. When you’re happy with your selection, right-click on the selected area and choose Cut.
- Open Paint again in a new window and paste the cutout. If you aren’t satisfied with the results, return to the original window and re-draw the shape around the object you want to copy.
You can use this method to copy a particular part of an image in Paint and combine it with another one to create your perfect graphic design.
Exporting An Image In PNG Format In Paint
To export an image in PNG format from Microsoft Paint, follow the steps below:
- Open Paint on your PC by using a shortcut or the search function on Windows.
- Insert an image onto the blank canvas by either dragging it or using the Open function.
You can now modify the image in any way you want. When you’re satisfied, and the file is ready to export, here is what you need to do:
- Click File in the top-left corner of the app’s window.
- Hover over the Save As option and select the PNG picture format from the list.
The image will be exported as a PNG. You can continue using it in other image-editing apps, such as the ones we mentioned in the introduction of this guide.
Microsoft Paint is a great tool for those who want to do some basic image editing. Using the above methods, you can copy an object from one image and remove it from its background, then paste it into a different app or onto another image to create a unique design.
Both Paint 3D and Paint.net are tools that offer greater scope and more options for editing, and they are very easy to work with if you are already familiar with Microsoft Paint. You should consider using these alternatives if you are an advanced designer and often need to work with transparency.