The ability to make images transparent is one of the many beauties of today’s virtual designing tools. Even if you are not a professional graphics designer, chances are you’ve encountered this challenge at least once before.
For most PC enthusiasts, Microsoft Paint is the “stepping stone” software that opened up a whole new world of creativity and ideas. Although it looks rather simple at first glance, this built-in Windows app is capable of many things.
In the guide below you’ll learn to make the background an image “transparent” by cutting out a part of it and using the cutout in a separate paint project or a different design in a third-party software.
Table of ContentsShow
Removing The Background From An Image In Paint (Cutout)
Although Microsoft Paint is not the first tool designers think of when given such a task, it’s still more than possible to remove the background of an image in this simple yet effective app.
If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop installed on your PC, simply follow these steps and you’ll get the task done in no time using Microsoft Paint.
- Open the search function on Windows and type in Paint. Press Enter on your keyboard to open the app. See the image below for further guidance.
- In the top-left corner, click on File and then Open from the list of options. This will load up the File Explorer which you can then use to select the image you wish to insert in Paint.
- From the list of tools, select the Free-Form Selection option. This tool will allow you to freely draw a shape around the object you wish to cutout from the image.
- Now, draw a shape around the image you wish to cutout. When you’re done, right-click on the selected area and select Cut.
- Open Paint in a new window and paste the cutout. If it’s imperfect, go back to the other window and re-do the free-shape draw around the object you wish to cut.
You can use this method to remove a certain part of an image in Paint and combine it with a different one to create the perfect graphic design.
Exporting An Image In PNG Format In Paint
To export an image in PNG format using Microsoft Paint, follow the steps below:
- Open Paint on your PC by using a shortcut or the search function on Windows.
- Insert an image on the blank canvas by either dragging it or using the Open function.
You can now modify the image in any way you want. When you’re done and the file is ready for export, this is what you need to do:
- Click File in the top-left corner in the app’s window.
- Hover over the Save As option and choose the PNG format from the list.
The image will export as PNG. You can continue using it in different image-editing apps such as the ones we mentioned in the introduction part of this guide.
Microsoft Paint is a great tool for those who want to do basic light editing. By using the methods listed above, you will be able to cut an object from one image and remove it from its background, then use it in a different app or on another image to create a design.
Both Paint 3D and Paint.net are tools that offer more room and options for editing, and they are really easy to work with if you are already familiar with Microsoft Paint. Use them instead if you are an advanced designer and work with transparencies often.