The username system on Twitch makes it possible for people to recognize each other through their virtual nicknames, and it’s no doubt one of the most important features on the platform.
Millions of Twitch users tune in daily to enjoy the content their favorite broadcasters put out, communicate in the chat rooms and meet other users with the same interests.
But, the Twitch 403 Error has a different plan. It’s one of the most annoying bugs that prevents users from changing their usernames. Luckily, this guide is going to give you the solution.
The Twitch 403 Error Explained
Before you understand why this error can be so frustrating to Twitch users, it’s essential to get familiar with Twitch’s username policy.
For those who don’t feel like reading the entire thing, here’s the most important part.
- Twitch allows username changes only once every sixty days.
So, if you changed your username by accident or mistyped a character, you’ll need to wait two months before changing it again, just to be greeted by the Twitch 403 Error.
The message users see when encountering this error is the following:
“Error message Error (403): You may not change your display name, only the capitalization of it.”
So, what’s the workaround for this problem? Can users change their display names, or are they forever doomed to live with a mistyped character?
Don’t worry; we’ve got you! Happily, there are a few easy solutions to this problem.
But, before we get into those, it’s important to mention that changing your display name should only be done from the Settings ➞ Profile panel, as the image below suggests.
If this doesn’t work, apply one or all of the methods listed below.
Fix 1: Clear Your Browser’s Cache And Cookies
Numerous bugs on Twitch are caused by a pileup of corrupted data and cookies. This is especially true if you use your browser for a long time and rarely clean up this data.
Reddit users confirmed this helped them overcome the problem, so follow the steps below to complete the process quickly.
- Open Chrome on your PC and click on the vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- From the dropdown menu, choose Settings to open the configuration panel.
- Scroll down a bit until you see the Privacy and Security section. Choose Clear Browsing Data to access the final window where you’ll do the cleanup.
- Here, tick all the boxes next to the three options available, as shown in the image below. Then, finish by clicking Clear Data in the bottom-right corner. Make sure to select All-Time in the time range field.
Now, restart your browser and try modifying your display name. You should no longer see the “You may not change your display name” when trying to confirm the change.
Fix 2: Log Out And Back In Into Your Twitch Account
Some Twitch users confirmed that logging out and then back into their accounts somehow solved the Twitch 403 Error.
This is one of the quickest fixes that you can try, so it’s worth attempting it as it can help you get rid of the problem without wasting too much time.
Fix 3: Use A Different Browser
According to some of the reports, switching to a different browser also helped with the 403 error on Twitch.
If you have an alternative browser installed on your PC, feel free to swap over just temporarily until you successfully change your name.
Use some of the popular browsers such as Firefox or Chrome, or if you already tried those and you’re looking for an alternative, we have a guide covering all browsers compatible with Twitch.
Now you know what methods to apply if trying to change your display name yields errors. But, there are a few key things to remember as well.
- Your display name must match your username. If you want something completely different, change your username instead.
- The display name tab is just for capitalization purposes. For example, if your name is PC Strike, and you want it to be “pC sTrIkE” you can do that through the display name section.
- Do not use invisible characters because it’s going to cause errors.
If you run into other, unknown errors, you can always contact Twitch’s Support Team for additional help and information.